Originally Posted by BC30cal
kkahmann;
Good afternoon my cyber friend, I trust that you're getting appropriate weather out in Nipigon and you're well.

Pelly is just a wee bit north of Kamsack and just out of Duck Mountain Park. We farmed south of there about an hour.

There were always moose and elk up there but not where we farmed, but that's changed now so I'm told.

One day when our daughter and I saw 4 moose out on the mountain behind the house - two cows, one spike bull and one of the biggest BC bulls I've seen - I mentioned it to my brother who is still on the farm and he replied he'd seen seven bulls in one field just north of his place!! shocked

This bull elk was taken a year or two back near the park so Pelly area again.

[Linked Image from vmcdn.ca]

Anyways, it's interesting how small the cyber world can be sometimes isn't it?

All the best to you as we hopefully head into spring.

Dwayne

Good morning Dwayne, I trust you are getting ready to enjoy your spring, 4 geese arrived at our lake this week, so I am looking forward to seeing all of the waterfowl when they arrive and the ice GONE!

I have Bow Hunted Moose in the Duck mountains when I lived in Manitoba. I was stalking a really good bull with two cows that were feeding in a lake. As I was getting within range one of the cows saw me and the "Gig" was up and the feather on my head wilted again lol. I Have heard the moose numbers are down in the Duck, are they on the rebound? Lots of Native pressure and there was a big tick problem, but that was a while back.

I have also fished the Duck Mountain Provincial Park and caught a beautiful 7 lbs. Brown Trout in Laurie Lake, a beautiful place to Hunt and Fish!

I wanted to comment on that JUMBO Elk in the picture you posted, what a stud hey? Do you know what he scored, looks like a 400+" bull. One thing a lot of people do not know is that Manitoba and Saskatchewan grow some of the most enormous Elk and Black Bears in the world, specifically in the Duck Mountain and Riding Mountain Parks.

I will always have fond memories of Hunting both Parks, although my elk and bear hunting around Riding Mountain was not within the park itself but around the edge of the park, which made elk hunting very difficult! Them elk are far from stupid, and they would feed outside of the park and as soon as the sun was rising, they typically bolted for the park line at 100 mph. I swear they actually knew where the boundary line was, as if it was a line drawn in the sand lol.

Anyway have a great day my friend,

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/30/23.

KB