To each their own on the viewpoint of guided hunts. I own 80 acres in central Wisconsin and hunt Whitetail deer and turkey. Outside of small game, that's about all I'll ever get on my property. Attached is the guy I got archery hunting on my property last fall. Just got him from the taxidermist yesterday actually! [img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNBryjC-HoR_6x2on7-Eo3SQhmrpW-IT/view?usp=share_link[/img]

But if you want to hunt something that is not local to your area, your only real option would be to hire an outfitter. Hell, I'm going on my first African hunt in June for cape buffalo, eland, gemsbok, kudu, and zebra. There is literally no option to hunt those animals without an outfitter. You can't simply show up to Africa with a gun without having an outfitter--you need to give them your paperwork at customs. I suppose someone could stay within the US, research public land, and try to hunt something without a guide. But if it's a species you never hunted yourself, in an area you know nothing about firsthand, that seems like more of a waste of time than anything.

Is a guided hunt the same thing as hunting on your own, in an area you know--absolutely not. But for those of us that want to try something new and learn the techniques on species you've never hunted--I'm not sure there is a better alternative.