Originally Posted by bobdahunter
Killerbee- i put Leupold scopes on everything i own. The pre 64 model 70 338 Win Mag has a new VX-HD3 4.5-14X50. The Mark V has an older VX3 4.5-14 x 40. Even scoped up my DG African rifles. Both pre 64 70's in 375 h&h and a custom Biesen in 458 Lott have the VX-6HD 1-6x24 on them.

I watched the videos for Ray's. I would say it's a mix. Certainly some wooded and some clearer country. The bow hunters were more in the brush with rifle hunters more in the open.

I did reach out to Westwood. Seemed good too but they were booked through 2024.

To your point BC30, maybe I bring both the 338 and 300 weatherby. I'm leaning towards the 338 but nothing wrong with the weatherby as a backup. The weatherby has a break on it, so the guide may prefer i use the 338...

Hi bobdahunter, nice scopes that's for sure, and for the distances you mentioned, they are a great choice.

On my .30-06 I use a Bausch and Lomb Rainguard Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 40, and I have taken a lot of moose with it and so many deer I forgot how many. I have never had any issues zooming in for a kill shot @ 200 yards and when you are hunting in the bush I like the lower power.

I have only killed moose with my .30-06 and bow, so 30 Cals are great medicine for moose. I bought and set up my .300 Win Mag for elk and longer range shooting, since every time I get a chance to kill one with a rifle they are 500 yards+ away.

For shots ranging between 150-200 yards, yours are an excellent choice and all you will ever need.

I have never owned a Muzzle Break, because I am not a range shooter that shoots many rounds and needs relief. I do not even feel the recoil when I am hunting and taking my shot since I am so focused. So, they are not necessary in my case. First time I heard one go off I was at a range standing in the wrong place too close to the shooter and I thought a canon went off. I remember saying WHAT THE F WAS THAT! lol.

Wishing you all the best in finding an excellent guide and enjoying a fun hunt, moose meat is one of my favorites and moose cheeseburgers are one of my favorite meals.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/01/23.

KB