Lots of people with a LOT more experience than myself, but I've been 3x in the last 5 years.

South Africa terrain varies a LOT. My first trip in Limpopo, can't recall where exactly was really thick and nasty and pretty flat. Shots were 50-100 yards on average and I took my waterbuck around 200 yards.

Used a 7mm Rem Mag with 160 bonded bear claws on the Waterbuck and Gemsbuck and a few other critters. Used a 257 Roberts with 100g accubond on some Impala and a Blesbuck. Most critters were bang flop, couple went 15-20 yards.

2nd trip, mostly archery hunted but borrowed a .243 with 70g ballistic tips for a monster hog. Didn't know it only had 70g ballistic tips, but bang/flop. Used a 308 for some other animals and my father used a borrowed 308 as well. 150g cup/core of some variety. NO issues.

This last trip, I used a 308 of my own with a 150g TSX's. Steenbuck, Bushbuck, Kudu, Black Wildebeast, Springbuck(s). Couldn't have asked for better performance. Was worried about the Steenbuck and blowing it up, but did a phenomenal job on all animals. Only bullet that stayed in was the Wildebeast, which was just under 300 yards and the 1st shot hit low in the shoulder, went through the heart. Broke the opposite shoulder and stopped under the hide.

Back to terrain - My 2nd trip was in N/W Limpopo and much more open but we were also able to utilize some ground blinds. Shots ranged from 10-25 yards with the bow and maybe out to 200, could have shot longer.

This last trip was in the Eastern Cape and shots were much longer. Bushbuck was maybe 50 and everything else was 200-300.

Only bullet issues that week were from a 375 H&H shooting I believe 220g Speers, shots were on target but the bullets didn't do a great job and required several follow ups.

Long story short, if I was going back tomorrow I'd probably be brining my Roberts or maybe even a .223 for smaller stuff and my 308 with the 150g TSX's again.