Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve taken 3-9, 4-12 and 1.5-5 scopes over there at various times. The only reason I took one as powerful as the 4-12 was the 3.5-10 on my 8 mag went TU about the second to last time I shot the rifle before leaving. The only reason I took a rifle as powerful as the 8mag was because one of my intended animals that trip was an eland. I generally leave my scopes set at 5-6x. If we go into thick cover I’ll turn it down. If a “ long” shot is required there will almost always be time to crank up the X if needed…. But if I recall the longest shot I’ve ever taken in Africa was a very nice zebra stallion shot with my 308 and 168Tsx at something around 280 yards. The 1.5-5 was on my 416 for buff and it was set at 5x for a 137yard shot. Actually 4 shots but that a different story! All of the shots killed the bull but as long as he wasn’t hooves up I kept shooting!

Your trusted 06 with a quality 6x will be perfect. Take the 1-5 as a backup if you’d like.

I’ve done rifle paperwork myself and have also used Riflepermits a few times. Don’t let the thought of transporting your own rifle be intimidating. It’ll take 20-30 min in the SAP’s office and a little paperwork and an inspection of your rifle. It’s all very simple.
Good bud killed a nice buff two yrs ago. Like you, he put 4 fatal shots into one, shot until it dropped. Never got out of sight.

He shoots a PF M-70 .416 Rem. PH liked 400 SAF, so that’s what he used. So I reckon PF’s can cycle pretty fast; bud is a good shot.

DF