Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Gents, as MD stated, he took a kudu at 375 yards, how much more range do you want, unless you're one of "those" who takes shots at big game animals at absurd ranges.

shooting animals at longer ranges kinda depends on each person`s ability and rifle he uses, at my rifle range and at bench rest matches i have seen the good ,the bad and the ugly. with a bi-pod on my rifle and a range finder i can shoot a long ways out . no i won`t take a wild shot but i also know how that rifle and cartridge will preform with my handloads over many years shooting as do many others on this forum also know as does M.D. knows too , i just need very good glass , higher power on the scope with a good trigger . here is an example rancher out west in Wyoming last year 2022 ,rancher said that antelope buck is 460 yards out wanna try and get closer i told him that will be fine right here so i laid down , bipod was adjusted turned scope to about 20 power and fired my 257 Weatherby mag. 1 shot and the buck went down dead. and i bet many others on the Campfire can do or have done the same thing it just takes practice and understanding ballistics.

pfft, Bill Bagwell (RIP) nailed an impala at 525 yards with his Sharps. I am still of the opinion (and that's all it is, an OPINION) that shots of big game should be closer.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”