Originally Posted by pete53
the rifle i will be taking is a common Winchester model 70 with the claw s.s. that has a a better trigger , brown precision stock that is glass bedded and barrel is floated , steel picatinny scope mnts., now some may not like this scope but i have used this brand and size scope for over 10 years on my deer rifle ,elk rifle , antelope and coyote hunting = 5.5-22 x56 30 tube Nightforce scope the glass is clearer than most other glass in scopes . i also don`t like the groups this rifle shoots with either 165 gr. or 180 gr. Nosler Partitions so far , but this rifle really likes 160 gr. Hammer Hunters shoots 1/2 - 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the nice thing about Hammer bullets is Hammer always have them in stock, for few bucks more the cost for Hammer bullets is not going to make a difference on a $15,000.00 plains game hunt if i do use Hammer bullets ? i am shooting this rifle plenty having my own 100 yard range and as a club member i can shoot 200 & 300 yards 15 miles from my house anytime i want too and will . > i do like and hopefully get more guys experiences with shooting and African hunts it all will help in some way , i am just your normal north American type hunter who shoots a lot. thank you much ,Pete53

What country / where will you be hunting? Do you know the type of terrain? If you're going to be hunting in bushveld [link], you may regret that choice of scope. Just my opinion.

How are you with a quick shot at 50 - 60 yards from a standing position (no time for shooting sticks) with that scope and rifle?

The Limpopo River in South Africa back in 2002 (the opposite bank is Botswana):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a Nile Crocodile on the sandbar. “Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” smile

Limpopo Bushbuck

Rifle: Ruger M77 Mk II in .30-06
Scope: Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5 x 20
Handload: 220 gr Woodleigh Weldcore round nose at 2460 fps

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke