MD,

interesting you should mention that longer than 150-200 yd shots are not off the table. A couple of my shots on my first trip were at or a bit over 200 yds. I used a scoped (2.5-8x) 300 WSM. I also saw my son, my hunting companion, shoot once at 200 yds and twice at longer than 300 yds. The other 10 or so animals were inside 100 yds.

We were in fairly open country on that safari, reminiscent of much of our Western states. My other hunts have been in Mozambique and Zimbabwe for other type of PG and DG, in different terrain and conditions, so most of my other shots have been generally less than 200 yds.

We are all creatures of our experiences and conclusions therefrom. I still think that most American hunters in most Southern African conditions - excluding open terrain as I imagine Namibia and some areas of RSA - are best served with their Western deer or elk rifles and bullets for PG. Being ready and able to execute the occasional 250-350 yd shot never hurts.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now