Originally Posted by BCBrian
In a report in a gun magazine, I read last night, that the new Alaska Model of the Ruger Hawkeye shot groups that averaged 1.8 inch groups with the 270 grain bullets and THREE INCHES with the 300 grain bullets - using their OWN AMMUNITION!!!

Am I alone, in thinking - this is just awful?

Why, in a world where cheap rifles such as Tikka's, Weatherby Vanguards, Savages, Brownings, Mossbergs, Howas etc. are tested, and show they are capable of regularly breaking the MOA standard - should this be considered "Acceptable"?

Having paid almost $1400 for a Remington Ti that only shot 2 1/2 groups from the factory - and being told by Remington they wouldn't do anything about it - I've got a real problem with companies releasing modern bolt action rifles that are that poorly constructed! You feel totally "ripped off"!

Why are some companies still producing such crap?

Personally, I think EVERY rifle should have a return policy - that is - if they don't already guarantee the accuracy of what they sell. If, say, after a week or so, you can't get a rifle to shoot like most bargain priced Savages or Tikkas do - you should be able to return it for a full refund.

If we, as consumers, insisted on it - I think we'd get it.

I'll agree with Brian's original post. This particular rifle didn't shoot well enough for me to want it, for whatever reason. If someone wants to ignore this report and buy that model of rifle, go for it. I'd want to find out more about this rifle's accuracy before plunking down my money.

My son had a Rem 700 Mt. rifle that started spaying groups wider and wider. At about 4 inch groups I phoned Remington and the customer service gal told me that if the rifle shot six inch groups or under it met factory specs well enough not to replace the rifle under warranty. When the rifle spread out to 12 inch groups they replaced the synthetic stock, which by then we had figured out was the problem. Remington did not impress me however with being satisfied with a 6 inch group.

IMO, buying a new Remington (and other brands) has become like buying a project. Why buy something that needs after market parts and tweaking to get it to shoot like my son's Tikkas do right out of the box?

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/21/07.