Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not the ELD-X, but I’ve seen the 180 ELD-M impact a bull moose on a frontal shot at ~30 m. The bullet was launched at 2930 fps at the muzzle. Impact was above the brisket, and the bullet penetrated about 4’ of moose before exiting at the rear of the rib cage. Moderate wound channel and the bull had 4 hooves in the air about as fast as I could blink after the shot. Don’t see that all that often with moose. I was quite impressed with both the bull’s reaction and the bullet performance.

That's pretty serious penetration really on a moose. I like the ELD's myself but I'd never have expected it to stay on point like that for 4 ft of moose.

I have used the 147's a decent amount around the 2700 start speed and they've acted great on deer. I used the 212 on a bull started at 2700 from an 06 at 390 yards and it crushed both front legs and was found on the hide.

I think a close shot with the ELD X when started above 2700 might be really messy myself. That is only my opinion and Jordan proves they work there. I'd love to blast one into jugs up close just to see what comes out, knowing it isn't an animal, but it is a good stress test on the bullet.

I don't have crap for animal data of ABLR's up close, other than a bunch I [bleep] into jugs at 25 yards. They'd lose about 50-60% and the expanded base was recovered which, is so similar to the 175's we just recovered out of 2 elk shot at 595 and 605 yards.

So I ain't answered anything, but those are my experiences with both. I do have a feeling the 175 has enough mass to get deep enough, whereas the example of the 178's on moose and caribou are kind of the light end of the thinly jacketed bullets to perform real well.

212 from the elk at 390 from an 06

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

212 at 25 yards in jugs

210 ABLR from a 300 Wby

Last edited by beretzs; 11/15/23.

Semper Fi