Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I don’t think it much matters. Put a decent bullet at a decent speed into the vitals and stuff dies.
The emphasis should be on ensuring the bullet is placed into the vitals, which means plenty of practice. More folks would be better off spending less time practicing long range and more time getting into position quickly and making shots at normal hunting ranges from a variety of field positions, as well as recognizing field expedient rests and quickly being able to utilize them. Have seen far more blown shot opportunities from people dicking around not getting into a solid position quickly than I have because of shots missed because of the distance.
This is one of the benefits of practical-style rifle matches; they give participants practice both in SR and LR shooting and in quickly devising and building solid shooting positions in field-type conditions.

I will point out that high BC is very useful in accomplishing the two criteria that you mentioned, a bullet arriving at the intended POI at a decent speed. BC value isn't black and white, sufficient or insufficient. It's a continuous scale of helping the shooter place the bullet correctly and ensure it expands correctly when it arrives on target.

Practical-style rifle matches are an option, but at the same time they aren't very practical for a lot of shooters, whether because of a lack of desire to compete against others, or the time and expense involved with attending a shoot (for a lot of folks, taking a weekend off from their duties and driving several hundred miles isn't an option).
Something like Carl Ross' Positional Drill is something I use and recommend.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ositional-drill-postal-match#Post9213006
Doesn't take much in the way of specialized equipment, and only takes a 100 yard range that allows the rifleman to shoot in positions other than the bench, which opens the training availability up to a lot of folks who don't have access to a long range facility. Also doesn't take a lot of ammo, only 20 rounds per session, so not terribly expensive to get into for the average hunter. A hunter may certainly modify the drill as they see fit to suit their physical abilities or equipment, like for instance I don't use shooting sticks, so generally do the drill as offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone.