Originally Posted by bwinters
What has been the collective experience with the ELDX bullet at close range - say 30-40 yards being launched around 2900-3000?

I called Hornady to get a bit of info on the 175 ELDX loads and discussing what I had in mind, he recomended against the ELDX for shots at that range and velocity (7PRC for reference). He opined it would not give an exit - which I'd expect - but did not give a glowing review of encounters with shoulder bones at that distance/velocity.
From watching moose and brown bears hit with it off the shoulder from about 40 yards out to about 175 so far, rib cages give no exits. Dead animals obviously but it bothers me if leg bones may get hit. Obviously scapula are not all the tough but big bones can be tough.

Flip side too, something hard can really change the angle of travel too and if you hit that hard spot first... rather than last.. but thats another subject and so far even breaking my own rules we have been lucky. But there is always me there to get in another shot if I can and its needed

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....