Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not the ELD-X, but I’ve seen the 180 ELD-M impact a bull moose on a frontal shot at ~30 m. The bullet was launched at 2930 fps at the muzzle. Impact was above the brisket, and the bullet penetrated about 4’ of moose before exiting at the rear of the rib cage. Moderate wound channel and the bull had 4 hooves in the air about as fast as I could blink after the shot. Don’t see that all that often with moose. I was quite impressed with both the bull’s reaction and the bullet performance.

That's pretty serious penetration really on a moose. I like the ELD's myself but I'd never have expected it to stay on point like that for 4 ft of moose.

I have used the 147's a decent amount around the 2700 start speed and they've acted great on deer. I used the 212 on a bull started at 2700 from an 06 at 390 yards and it crushed both front legs and was found on the hide.

I think a close shot with the ELD X when started above 2700 might be really messy myself. That is only my opinion and Jordan proves they work there. I'd love to blast one into jugs up close just to see what comes out, knowing it isn't an animal, but it is a good stress test on the bullet.
I agree, Scott. I never would have expected such performance from the ELD-Ms before I started using them, being standard tipped C&C bullets, but I have been impressed by the terminal performance of the high-SD models. Again, my experience is mainly with the ELD-M, not the ELD-X. Quite frankly, I was pretty surprised/impressed with the performance of the 180 impacting at ~2900 on that frontal shot on the bull moose. Wasn’t expecting that kind of penetration, for sure. But after seeing a bunch of critters fall to the 147 and 180 ELD-M, from about 30-500 m, I’ve come to expect deep penetration, moderate wound channels, and 1.25-1.5” exits.

Surprisingly, I haven’t caught one yet, but that is likely due to the type of shot I typically take with the ELD-M, versus something like a LRX, which I’m much more willing to send through bone and tough angles. My recovery rate of the 127 LRX has been higher than the 147 ELD in the last few years. wink In fact, I caught another 127 LRX this year on a slightly quartering away shot on a big MD buck. The bullet entered near the 3rd-from-rear rib and crashed into the offside humerus, where it chipped some bone and stopped. It fairness, it was the largest bodied deer I’ve ever seen on the ground.