Don, Yes the info is from the 1912 catalog #53 - actually a reprint of it. I have not found many original Stevens�s catalogs for sale and the early ones seem to always bring good prices. That catalog has 5 models of single shot rimfires (including the Crackshot), 2 single shot models available in rimfire or centerfire (and there are several variations of each) and 1 rimfire repeater as well as the 425.

I therefore find it hard to believe that the 425 would have been serial numbered along with the Crackshot when they had so many models in production. Also if combined with the Crackshot I would think the high serial numbers found would be way over 5000 in a six to seven year production run. Another reason I think it is unlikely is that I have a Crackshot and it is serial number Q649 which is the way Stevens serial numbered their 22's at that time, a letter followed by 3 digits. This was done on the Visible loaders for so long that they must have started over as I have very late ones (SVG stamped) with low serial numbers.

As for the 32's they seem to be the rarest of the rare. I have been gathering information on the High Powers for several years and still do not have a lot that I am sure is correct!!! I think I have seen at the most 6 or 7 in person and about that many more on line. Just roughly comparing the number I have seen with numbers of other guns of known production I had estimated (very very roughly) 5000 to 10000. I have looked for model 16 Remington�s (17,720 apx. made) for about the same time and have seen about 3 times as many as 425's (did not keep accurate records). This gun is from the same production period so I thought it would be a reasonable comparison.

Another issue with these that has not been discussed much is choice of only Remington chamberings. This may have been one reason for the lack of popularity. Also if there ever was a real safety issue with using pointed bullets in a tube magazine centerfire that would also have been an issue. Remington had a special patented spiraled magazine for their tube repeaters in these calibers to keep the bullet point from contacting the primer of the next cartridge - Patent . Only the 35 seemed to be loaded almost exclusively with round nosed bullets. If there was a possibility of one cartridge setting of the next I wonder if that was the end of some of these rifles. Gene

Last edited by GeneB; 01/01/09.

Gene