I originally posted this in the Lever-action forum, but was told I should post it here (I hadn't looked in the Savage forum).

I was browsing through my father's rifles today and came across a Stevens 425 in 25 Remington. He doesn't know the history of it, other than it was his fathers for some time. The wood needs to be cleaned and all the metal has very light surface rust, but overall it looks like it would clean up well. The serial # is in the 4XXX range (I can't remember the last three digits).

He and I have never shot it, but his brother did a long while back and stated that it fired but something wasn't quite right. We don't remember what it was that needed attention, but it may be something I'll look in to this summer.

My father has no interest in keeping it and would like to get a nice varmint/deer rifle and scope setup in its place. I have a .243 that I was going to build, but it may end up going to him instead and this will be added to my collection.

Would this type of gun be something I could take to my local gunsmith or should I find someone that specializes in old lever actions?