I e-mailed a question to the Historian and here is the reply:

Hi Rick, The Stevens Model 425 is a very nice rifle. I think the last one that I saw was at a show and Doug Murray was trying to sell it. Anyway, there are no J. Stevens serial records existing for any model and have not been since way before WW II. There are no production records either. I have a remnant of some Stevens comparison production records , but not this early and as far as I know these are the only ones that exist. The rifle was designed by Edward Redfield of Glendale, Oregon and his patent from 1910 was assigned to Stevens. The 11K number produced may have come from a summary sheet somewhere, but any that I have sent info on never had a S/N over 6 or7 thousand as I recall. The 1911 to 1917 dates are pretty accurate. There were 4 versions of this gun, The basic Model 425, the Model 430, same basics as the 425 except checkered stock, The Model 435 with checkered stock , fancy wood an! d engraved chain borders around the receiver, some scroll on the top of the receiver and lever, and the Model 440 which had fancier checkering, extra fancy wood and some beautiful scroll and animal scenes on the receiver, matted receiver . I have never seen or had inquiry on a 435 or 440. The engraving as illustrated would have rivaled or exceeded anything that Tue did and would stand up to a lot of todays engravers.

What model 15 is your poster referring to? John C.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!