Some more on the 30-30 versus 30 Remington:

I agree with Don and also think all 30 cal. 425�s were stamped 30-30 Remington even though when the 425 came out Remington probably had already changed the name. Stevens probably had the barrel stamp made and because of the limited production never made another.

What we call the 30-30 Winchester today was not called that by Winchester. It was the 30 WCF and according to �CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD� �was the first American small bore, smokeless powder sporting cartridge�. Because it was a smokeless only load Winchester did not use the old black powder standard when naming it. I think Winchester was still stamping their guns 30 WCF as late as the mid �50�s. It was other manufacturers including Savage that called it the 30-30.

When Remington brought out their rimless version in 1906 it was named the 30-30 Remington. The name was changed when they realized it caused confusion even though the Winchester round was still officially named the 30 WCF (the confusion is still around today). I have seen two early Remington Model 8 autoloaders stamped 30-30 Remington, one was stamped on the bolt, which is the normal location and the other was stamped on the barrel sleeve, which was probably the location on very early guns. The original name of 30-30 could not have been used very long.

I have 2 cartridges stamped 30-30 Remington and have seen a partial box on line. They are very scarce, the box I saw was partial and in poor condition and sold fast for well over $100 if I remember right. I paid $7 a piece for the cartridges I have and I talked the dealer down from $10 � when I had first asked if he had any he said he did and would bring them to the next show for me, his price quote then was $2 or $3 a piece � sure jumped up after he had asked around - did not make me very happy with him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]