I might suggest that a Nosler is supposed to do just what the pictures show, that is blow the front lead out inside and animals doing a lot of damage, and the rear portion exits or stops on the far side skin..A number of European bullets also are designed to do this.

IF one does not like this scenario then the option is to use the next heaviest Nosler available for that caliber..That is why I opt for 200 gr. Noslers in the 300 H&H or even the 30-06 if I am after more penetration or to recover pretty expanded bullets from lengthwise shots..

And thats the rest of the story! smile

I also agree the 270 gr. TSX or any of the old Barnes monolithics work great on buffalo, the older ones failed from time to time on lighter stuff and I had a TSX fail on a Mule deer out of a .308 in that the nose pinched shut and it changed course a bit and ended up in a tracking job..so any of them will fail from time to time, but todays bullet makers are the best in history and any good premium or better yet super premium bullet works well enough IMO..I am particularly fond of Noslers, GS Customs, North Forks and Woodleighs.

The bottom line is bullet placement is today and always has been the deciding factor IMO....Even if the bullet fails for whatever reason if it is in the chest cavity where the heart and lungs are it will work 99% of the time and end up after perhaps a short tracking job, it just won't look pretty after its all cleaned up and on your desk..:)

I have had bullets explode on contact and kill instantly and the lungs looked like the animal had been shot with bird shot. That was a 180 gr. Silvertip at 200 yards! The rest of those bullets all worked perfect! so there ya go...

Last edited by atkinson; 06/21/09.