I think, if I were headed to Africa to do a mixed-bag safari, I would listen very carefully to what Mr. Hack has to say.

However, there are some obvious differences between a mixed-bag African safari, and deer hunting in America. Or elk hunting. Or antelope.

For instance, In Oregon, we can NEVER (that I've ever seen) be hunting both deer and elk at the same time. They shut deer season down for elk season, in areas where they would otherwise overlap. A guy can choose a great deer bullet in perfect confidance he won't have to use it on an elk.

Anyway, my take is very simple... even on elk, I haven't seen a need for a super-penetrator. Even the Accubond, regarded as somewhat "soft" in comparison to a TSX, has blown all the way through the body of the 4 elk I've seen shot with it. And as Mr. Hack has said on another of these damn TSX threads, the Interbond and Accubond are noticeably quicker killers. The 4 elk shot with them I've personally seen went DOWN. That has more value to me, than putting a TSX 4" deep into the tree behind the elk... and perhaps having him run a lot farther.

Also, having myself been very frustrated by the earlier X bullet's lack of consistancy and then discontinuation after I'd spent a bunch of money trying to find a load for it (in my .358), and seeing all the "banana" TSX's pictured here and elsewhere, it just leaves me feeling like it's still a work in progress- UNLESS you want a super-penetrator. And it sounds like on a mixed-bag African safari, that's a great idea. And I would most certainly give Mr. Hack's words great weight- if choosing a bullet for that.

If choosing a bullet for deer hunting, absolute maximum penetration is pretty far down my personal list. Same with elk. Have not yet drawn an antelope tag, but I can't see why that'd require it. Even our black bears ain't no big thang...

Just my thoughts. Now that this thread isn't just about Africa anymore, I thought it would be OK to post this... I've been holding off out of respect for JJHack, and out of appreciation for his obvious enthusiasm and huge body of experience with the TSX. In no way am I saying that he is incorrect in any way whatsoever.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!