dinsdale,
That is an impossible scenario for anyone to make a flat out statement on..It just depends on what you hit on the way in! If you hit a major bone you will get a lot of destruction, if not probably a pass through with little expansion..

I solved that problem long ago when North Fork bullets came out with the cup point. It does yeomans work on any animal from Duiker to Cape buffalo, at least so far, but you never really know, I suppose it could tumble for instance and destroy a small animal?? then of course it depends on caliber and velocity. Velocity being the worst offender IMO.

It is always a good option to use a big bore with a solid or cup point..

Like you I am pretty much a one rifle person as I am all over Africa and in and out of airports and one gun simplifies my life enormously..I usually just take one of my rifles, be it a 9.3x62, 404, .375, or 416, makes no difference, load it with cup point bullets and a few solids for elephant and very small animals, and shoot everything with the one gun..

Once you get to the 40 calibers you can actually get by very well with a flat nose solid on everything IMO....

However you do it, its always a bit of a trade off one way or the other.

Last edited by atkinson; 06/22/09.