Like others have said, there are a lot of particulars to consider for a good recommendation but I'm sure you'll do plenty of research so just for conversation's sake (and because I know this is a fun part of the process for most folks grin ) I'll jump in.....

For me, if I want a gun for PD and hunting, I'd buy/build one for PD and then hunt with it. For what it sounds like you're looking for and since it sounds like you'd like to make sure you have a weapon with a top-shelf reputation, I'd second Jimmy's recommendation of a Colt 6920.

I have ARs with barrel lengths from 10.5" to 26" and, out of those, my favorite length for all-around use is the 16" carbine. This is the most common length for PD-type rifles and is very handy for hunting IME.

Even if you think you may want to use irons, make sure to get a flat top so you can go either way. I shoot iron sights (not very much though), electronic sights and scopes. My hands-down favorite sight is the EoTech (with irons as a back-up).

Here are a couple examples....(these two are both RRA)
[Linked Image]

Here's some bad/fuzzy pics that will hopefully give you some kind of an idea of how the EoTech/irons work. Sorry for the crummy pics but I was in a hurry when I took them.....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!