Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by TC1
The quad rail and retractable stock are pretty much worthless in the woods.

They may not be your bag but don't ya think "worthless" is a little extreme??

When left in it's original context I wouldn't say it's an extreme point of view at all.

As far as the optics go it's a personal choice but when I hunt with an AR-15 It's just like I do with a bolt gun. For me, I'll take precision over speed.

IMO, off the RRA page this would be my
idea of an all around AR-15 but I would like it in a faster twist.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=230

Now here is were I'm sure I'll part company with many and that's fine. I just like a longer barrel for off hand shooting. The extra weight on the end makes me a better rifleman. It ballances better and it's quiter. I had several friendly disagrements with Rost495 about this back a few years ago. You just couldn't convience me that a 16" barrel wasn't the best thing going. I finally yelded to his many years of experience and tried one. After the 1st session with a 20" rifle I was sold on the idea for life. There is no doubt the 16" rifles have a "cool" factor the 20" rifles can't match, but unless you are military or LEO you probably won't be hendered by a 20" barrel for the majority of the tasks I'll perform with the rifle. I am a civialian and in all honesty my rifle will be used outside and for sporting purposes. IMO, rifle should be set up with that in mind.

Nebraska, you have all my respect brother. Just wanted you to know that.

Terry

PS. I'm pecking on an iPhone, forgive all the errors blush