LOL. This just shows that the AR crowd is almost like another religion. It reminds me of the old 45 vs 9mm debates we used to see on gun boards all the time.

So far I like FTR_Shooter's advise best. Practical and well thought out.

Ask 5 AR owners what the best configuration is, and you'll probably get 6 or 7 answers. That's the problem with a gun that has so many variations. I've see multipage arguments over which AR grip is best (I like the MagPul MIAD, for the record).

As a newcomer to ARs, I be tempted to pick a well know manufacturer with a good warrantee and reputation. Ask you local gunsmith if he has an opinion and what he like Who has the best customer service, etc.

I work on my own guns, so this is not an issue. But if you are not an AR mechanic, it pays to pick a maker with good customer service. I've heard very good thinks about S&Ws M&P and there service has always been great. T be honest, I haven't dealt with any other AR maker's service department, except Knight's, and there customer service is so horrific, I warn everyone not to deal with them (unless you are a government agency in which case you will get good service).

Buy a turn key system and you will only have to deal with one company if you have a problem. Or get one from an AR mechanic with a good reputation who you can rely on to fix any issues.

Buy what appeals to you. You can always change things like barrel, hand guard, etc later if you change you mind. My personal AR started life in 1984 with triangular hand guards and a A1 upper. It's been a 20" heavy barreled varminter, a 6.8 rifle and now a 5.56 M4gery. Along the way its been used for 3 gun matches, killing PDs and even a couple of deer

As far as configuration, I don't think there's a wrong answer as long as you like it. Just make sure it's built by someone you can rely on.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.