Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

If you buy a single high-end AR-15 with HD/SD in mind, I would like you to think about the following. I happen to live in a subdivision and my wife and I have several children of various ages living at home. When an HD situation arises and you pull out that big ole AR-15, release the bolt to load the first round off the 30 round mag and start blasting away, just remember this, you have to account and explain every bullet that you will be sending out of your fancy schamcy AR-15 and this may very well happen in a court of law in front of a judge and a hand-picked jury. If your bullets go through the interior and exterior walls or doors or windows (and they surely can,) they will continue on looking to spend themselves somewhere. For non-TEOTWAWKI situations, a shotgun or a handgun is better suited for HD. Also, I have never been able to conceal carry an AR-15.

You are completely wrong on the over penetration issue. Handguns have significantly more penetration through interior walls then 5.56. Over penetration with 5.56 was disproved in the mid 90's. In any case, will you not have to answer for the rounds out of your pistol or shotgun? Shotguns have been eclipsed by the AR platform for most uses.

Also I don't recall the OP mentioning concealed carry in his post. Do you?

Bushmaster, DPMS and Rock River are all fine. I do not believe Isaac is going into combat. I am partial to ArmaLite, there are many others.

Unless you shoot and actually attend training. Then 223 chambers, non chrome lined barrels, crappy bolts, improper feed ramps, non F-marked FSB's, poor small parts, etc. will start to make you understand. If they are just for playing with, fine. Shoot whatever. However, if like the OP you want one for HD, then it is wise to select one that will give the least amount of problems.

Oh my gosh, I don't have fully (or partially) chromed lined barrels in my ARs. I have stainless steel barrels and I take good care of them. I would love to know how I am giving up "some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them."

By your own admittance, you do not do anything serious with your AR's, other then hunt. For your uses it matters not. For high round count users that shoot a lot, and/or train there is a massive difference. Typical barrel life on a quality SS barrels will have less then half the life of a proper chrome lined barrel. Roughly 2-4,000 rounds versus 8-12,000 rounds, depending on usage. SS barrels are usually chambered with a Wylde or MK262 chamber, which are "tighter" chambers to enhance accuracy, but are also less forgiving of fouling, dirt and debris, and suspect ammo. Shoot any steel cased ammo such as Wolf, some "mil-surp", or dirty ammo through a match chambered gun in a 1,500-2,000 round class in a weekend, and you will have huge problems, if the gun can even finish.

As an aside, I am currently using a 16in, mid-length, 1/7 twisted SS match barrel on one of my work uppers. I do so knowing the pro's and con's, and accept that this barrel will be toast in half a year of use or less. Fortunately I have plenty of chrome lined guns for harsh firing cycles where the accuracy is not needed.

I hope by now that I have made my point about how bad an idea it is to use an AR-15 for home or self-defence in non-TEOTWAWKI situations.

No you haven't. You have made an emotional point about how you feel using an AR in home or self defense is a bad idea. But have yet to state a valid reason. And you don't have to. You can do whatever you like.

There is actually a name for this type of rifle and it was started by military SOF. It's called a Recce, and they work very well at a whole bunch of tasks.

Especially if you are in the military or just want to have a tacticool rifle.

Or your needs are similar. A "Recce" is no more a military gun, then a heavy barreled 308 is a sniper rifle.

Facts are facts. The original poster asked for suggestions on an all-around AR for hunting, shooting, and home defense. He wanted it to be accurate, and reliable. Call it whatever you want, however as myself and another poster stated, his needs/wants fit a certain style or setup.