I don't believe you mentioned budget, so I don't know if money is an issue so much or not. A number of good companies today can sell you a new out of the box model either partially or mostly tricked out, but you're going to be into solid 4 figures or multiples of 4 figures. After a divorce cleanout :-(, I had to start from scratch again and my first purchase (still my fav) was a CMMG M4 with 14.5 bbl and permanently attached phantom flash hider totalling 16". Very pleased with the quality, fit and finish, and it came with a 1:7 bbl twist, so accuracy has been very good. If a sharp appearance matters to you, the CMMG has a really nice black matte teflon finish over the parkerizing. Actually looks (in finish) much like the Smith and Wesson M&P series. Money was a consideration for me, so I was very happy only spending about $800. (Oct '08) I do agree with most above that one is not enough. A good comprimise might be to have one M4 style in 5.56 for all around use, and then move towards maybe a longer range target model in a different caliber. (considering 6.8 or 6.5 Grendal next)