Thinking on some of these comments reminds me of my cousin's choices against mine. We both hunt coyotes with our AR's, I'd rather call one in close and he likes to see how far he can kill one.

My choices after owning 20" guns both HBAR and pencil barrel, a 17" RECCE , 14.5" M4 and several 16" barrels including bull, HBAR and pencil is the 16" light weight contour. I've ran them all over the chronograph and tried many different bullet weights, none of them kills any more dead than my 16" LW in my situation, out to 200 yards or so.

Now cuzz has a 16" LW that his wife took over and won't let him play with. He also has a BM Varminter with 24" barrel, a 17Rem with 20" barrel and a 223WSSM with a 24" barrel +2" comp. He runs 6.5-20 scopes on all his guns, kills coyotes just the same but he's screwed in low light and tight cover and readily admits it. But he does have a knack for running shots once they're out there a ways.

Would I take my 16" LW to the 600 yard line? Heck no, it ain't made for that but it has it's purpose. I hate to use this expression but "the mission dictates the equipment, not the other way around".

What's your mission?

Last edited by TWR; 07/27/09.