I am not a big bore fan, nor am I a fan of hyper velocity rounds. I do see, however, a trend over the last century and a half to leave behind old fashioned ideas in favour of new, modern vastly superior (insert favourite name).

Large calibre, heavy for calibre, moderate velocity rounds have been reliable stoppers for a very long time on large tenatious of life creatures. That is historical fact.

There have been marked improvements made in projectiles over the last twenty years or so, and veocities can be increased to accomodate the desires of the speed afficiados without compromising the projectile. That is all well and good, but a slower moving large calibre round is still what is needed to reliably penetrate, and shock the fight out of a large dangerous animal.

I use small calbre like 308 for deer and moose, although I prefer 338 and over for moose. For bear thee is nothing like a 458 calibre to put them down. These are personal preferences based on personal experience over 45 years of hunting.

By the way Phil, I too chose the 3006 as backup on my African hunt last spring. That is a very nice bear. \congratulations

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff