Originally Posted by 458Win
You know it's kind of funny, and certainly could be a thread all it's own, but when Alaskan's see this photo they say "wow, what a nice bear" and when they hear I used a 30-06 as my backup rifle they don;t bat an eye - but when rifle loony's, gun writers and editors see it and hear that I "only had a 30-06" they think that I'm lucky to be alive. what they don't realize is that for 50 years virtually every Alaskan guide use the 30-06 as their backup rifle - and every internet "expert" will tell you that bears were bigger then as well.

I don't know Phil, I've never killed a big Brownie (or any Brownie for that matter), just some nice blackies, and my paltry credentials fall far short of an expert, but no way I would ever consider an 06' for say a lion, much less that bulldozer with hair and claws in that picture you posted! I have a friend of mine who has hunted bear with the "Rosen somethings" (sorry can't recall the name) and he recommends the 416. Not being disagreable, just disagreeing with the 06 as a stopper. Cheers, jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”