Originally Posted by Vagabond

" Really? What can we expect from bonded cores?

Vagabond: Good post and good exchange between you and MD;thought provoking stuff!

What can you expect from Bonded Cores? Like MD says, it varies with type and design of bonded cores,but here are some examples taken from some I recovered.I'll cite starting velocity,distance at impact, and approximate penetration to give perpsective:

1)7mm 160 Bitterroot Bonded Core(BBC)-3100 fps mv;into back of neck,just forward of shoulders(from behind) of bull elk at app 175 yards.Recovered under chin.

Retained Weight(RW)-157 grains.
Expanded Diameter(ED)-.604

2)7mm-140 BBC- started at 3300 fps,into on-side shoulder of large mule deer buck at app 75 yards.Recovered against hide just forward of off-side rear ham.Buck DRT.

RW- 132 grains
ED- .660

3)7mm 140 BBC- Started at 3100 fps from 280;into ribs of 300# black bear at 60 yards,into off side ribs,and recovered under hide.Bear down at impact;did not get back up.

RW- 136.9 grains
ED- .709

4)250 gr BBC,375H&H started over 2900 fps through shoulders bones of Alaskan BB at app 175 yards.Two others fired, one into lungs and into shoulders;both exited with large exit wounds,not recovered.

RW- 243.7 grains
ED- .861 to .909;depending on where you measure the frontal area.

I'd have to say that in each case,penetration was quite good despite substantial frontal areas,the bullets only being stopped by the stretchy off side hide.Might add that none of these have petals torn off from impact.And wound channels were very substantial in each case.

Good discussion on a complex subject due to no end of variation in bullet construction and materials, impact velocity,target resistance, etc.Large frontal area and completely sufficient penetration are not mutually exclusive characteristics,I think.

I suspect this is what you are both saying smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.