For over fifty years the vast majority of Alaskan guides carried 30-06's for everything - including backup - and were happy with it. With today's bullets and the ability to load it heavier it is even better.
I know of a few African PH's with decades of experience who claim that they prefer their 30-06's ( one prefers it over has original 416 Rigby) for following wounded cats - both leopard and lions - as cats are so blazingly fast that they feel the nanosecond faster handling of a lighter 06 offsets the bit of extra power.

I certainly am not recommending that the 30-06 is the best stopper - but I have stopped a number of wounded bears besides this one over the past thirty years with my 30-06 and it works just fine so long as the bullets are correctly placed.
the point is that correct shot placement is the single most important factor in stopping anything and no amount of excess power, bullet weight or bore size will offset that.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.