Back when I was guiding in the late 1980's, one of the clients who hunted with us was a kid just out of high school. The kid had already decided he wanted to be an Alaskan guide, so bought a .338 Winchester Magnum. It was his only rifle so he brought it for the pronghorn hunt, and used up over a box of ammo the first day, flinching and missing.

That evening the outfitter talked the kid into using the outfitter's .25-06 the next day, but by then the kid's shoulder was so badly bruised that he couldn't even handle that.

On the third and final day of his scheduled hunt, he was given to me, because I was willing to give him a shooting lesson before we went out, and loan him yet another rifle, my Ruger 77 .220 Swift. (The big reason for me giving him the shooting lesson was that I had actually built the benchrest and practice range out behind the barn on the ranch. The outfitter generally had clients check their scopes by shooting over the hood of a pickup at some indeterminate range.)

I first had him shoot the Swift at a target at 100 yards, and after the first shot (where he discovered that it didn't kick enough to hurt him) he managed a decent group. Then I had him shoot at the 300-yard gong, and when he hit that a few times(and was ecstatic) we went hunting.

By 8:00 we'd stalked within about 150 yards of a nice buck, and after the kid shot the buck trotted in a tiny circle and fell over. The 60-grain Nosler Solid Base had done about the same job a .243 would have, with a quarter-sized exit hole on the other side of the rib cage.

Now, that particular pronghorn took over 50 shots, so yes I can see 60-something shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck