idahoguy,

In theory the .30-06 should do better with 180's than the .270's 150's, but I have never been able to see a real difference on game.

The 200 might get us into that "big bear" territory, but not many of us hunt really big bears with a .270 anyway. On non-dangerous game a 150-grain .270 bullet works pretty darn well, at least in my experience.

In fact a really deep-penetrating 130-grain .270 bullet, such as the Barnes TSX or Nosler E-Tip, works very well on pretty big game. I have seen the 130 TSX used on 1000-pound animals and it worked very well indeed.

As alluded to in an earlier post, for 99% of hunting the .270/.30-06 question was pretty well put to rest by the invention of the Nosler Partition over 60 years ago. Some of today's bullets make the question even less debatable. A 150 TSX or E-Tip in the .30-06 is plenty for just about any non-dangerous big game, whether elk or similar-sized African plains game (or at least that's been my experience). A 130 in the .270 does very similar things.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck