Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Originally Posted by Idaho_Biker
.270 for my money, a little flatter, a little faster, 140 gr. works for me, reaches out to around 400 yds mostly for deer here in Idaho, still based on an .06 case. Both are great cartridges and no matter where you are if you forget your ammo you'll be able to always find .270 or .06, try that with a 35 Whelen.

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? I've been hunting since the late 1960s and I never heard of anyone who forgot their ammo and had to save the trip by going to the local hardware store in some small town and picking up ammo.

I've run out of ammo and had to buy shotgun shells locally but thats another story.

grin
You, sir, have not heard of me then; I did that very thing only it was with .340 ammo except I did have four rounds which turned out to be enough. Ironically, I'm obsessive compulsive and make lists of stuff that I check off but I also have ADD unfortunately--think, carefully making a list...then losing it. grin

Ok you guys; time to relax on the .270 v. .30-06 argument; the nature of these arguments is that the whole generations of those involved must die off before it can be revived again after being discovered on your ninety year old great grand daughters old iPad found stored on a salvaged heritage satillite circling mars. grin

I have two sharp broadheads left for my bow, will not buy more until I shoot these! I get a kick out of people who think they are going into a war zone and carry 20 rounds of ammunition on or about their person when deer hunting that is unless they are hunting with a .223 ( grin )