Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by goodnews

Here's a wrinkle: It seems to me that size/weight must at some point make a difference even though substance, construction and S.D. Remain the same. Take bullets of a S.D. Of .250 which for most standard cartridges most would agree is on the wee side for elk for instance. In a .270 this might be somewhere around 140 grains; it might exit; it might not. But a similar bullet (construction, S.D.) of 150mm and the size of a loaf of bread and at about them same vel (case capacity stays proportional)--does anyone doubt that that would exit? Probably, not even here. grin

MDs notes show no significant differences between the '06 and its progeny but my extreme example from common sense tells us that at some point size will be "a better killer". It seems silly in the telling and yet that is what this whole thread is about-- does .031" make a difference on the same range of creatures?

Apparently not at this point in slight difference but at some point it will.

To wrinkle it some more....

An 06 struggles to get 2700fps with a 180gr and 22 inch bbl. A 270 can generally hit 2900fps with a 150gr and 22 inch bbl. Again, it's a push as far as any kind of "killing power".

Casey

Casey, I don't know nuthin' about what a .270 will do. But my 22" '06 doesn't struggle to make 2800 fps with 180's, much less 2700 fps. I don't think that's atypical.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!