Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Not skeered of wildcats here. At last count I've formed cases for five of them, and have reformed others, when I had a specific reason to do so. Made .22-250's from small primer .308's once, without any special dies. They worked okay, just weren't worth the trouble.

My list of wildcats is fairly extensive as well, including 22K Hornet, 22 Cheetah Mk 1 and MK ll, 22-250AI, 22/204, 6mmAI, 6/284, 250AI, 7mm Mashburn Super, 300 Belted Newton, 338/8mm RemMag, 348AI and I am sure a few others I am forgetting.

That said, I do NOT try to make or claim that an itty bitty little cartridge is remotely as good as a bigger one, or that it is even sufficient for game that is way above its pay grade.

Who here would have given a second look at a wildcat for a bolt action or lever action rifle that was a 30 Rem or 250 Savage or similar necked down to .277? The collective YAWN such a round would have garnered would be deafening. Yet because this pipsqueak round can be housed in a butt ugly plastic semi automatic rifle that looks sorta like the ones our guys are using in the sandbox, some folks get al giddy about it. Sheesh.....

Useable and interesting velocity's are not reachable ulness one drops down to very low SD bullets and / or plays rifle roulette with nutso pressures.

Just buy a damned hunting rifle, and leave the matchbox rifles for the purposes they are good at (and very good at those, BTW).

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500