Originally Posted by SanCalPigHunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
I dont understand all the hoopla in this thread, when they become available, chrono a box of factory loads, reload to that velocity and accept the little cartridge for what it is.

200 fps means nothing in the real world, would I like to be hit with a 110 gr TTSX at:

2800 fps.....NO
2600 fps.....NO
2400 fps.....NO
2200 fps.....NO crazy

Gunner

Look up what velocity those Barnes TTSX need to be going before they expand or instead create a pencil hole. Thats why i hope this round works out. I would like to hunt boar with a 120gr Barnes TTSX. I bought a couple of boxes for my grendel then looked at the reloadding guide and saw the velocities and compared them to the required impact velocity for the Barnes TTSX and shelved the boxes. Can't use them in the Grendel. They simply don't go fast enough.

Now there's something I do know a little about. Loaded up some Barns .257" 80 grain TTSX bullets in my .257 Roberts Ackley custom Remington 700, because of California's lead free zone. I expected they would punch a hole clear through a ground squirrel, but just the hydrostatic shock should do the job. My load drove these little bullets at 3,578 fps over the Oehler 35P. Here's the first hit at fairly close range about 50 yards:

[Linked Image]

More followed at between 150 and 200 yards, here's three in row:

[Linked Image]

The one pointed to in the photo above was about the smallest squirrel I ever hit at that range, his body was no longer than 4", not much resistence but a good splat anyway:

[Linked Image]

Good little bullet. Here's a 10 shot 100 yard group that shows I'm good for 8 out of 10 shots. That diamond is .5" on a side:

[Linked Image]

Wrote a note to Barnes and they said looks like the TTSX was opening earlier than they believed. If you can get it out of the muzzle at something around 3,200 fps it ought to do deer quite well, but they always shoot through after messing up a lot of tissue.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 07/18/13.