My first wristwatch...and a memorable lesson--

Back in the 50's, at 13, I started working, full-time, during my school summer vacations. I had never needed a watch, before. But, working by the hour, and with important start/stop times, I bought one from a guy who showed up on the job site who was selling out of his car trunk. It was a very cheap, but flashy, dress watch. I couldn't see the need for a pocket watch, like ALL the other OLD operators carried (where was the sense in that?).

The hand control levers on an old 3/4-yard Northwest diesel shovel are forged steel (about 4' long, 60-70 lbs), the large grip knob integrally forged. Some of these "hand" control levers can also be operated by foot, and have a large pedal integrally forged. When the machine is running near its potential speed, these levers are often being moved at very high speeds, with both hands and both feet thoroughly occupied, quickly releasing heavy pressure on one before instantly applying pressure on another.

Well, that fancy wristwatch didn't last through its entire first day on the job before one of the flying levers smashed its crystal and face.

That week I went out and bought a new pocket watch. smirk

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg