Originally Posted by RealityCheque
I've never found the transition from bino's to 'scope,to be anything other than seamless.

After you've tasted the ability to slip a bullet wherever you wish,from spitting distances,to multiple zipcodes away...it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to go backwards and refrain such bolstered connect percentages.

Zeiss is exceptional in observation(bino's/spotters),but bottom rung in POA/POI correlations(rifle scopes).

The transition from bino's to rifle is usually seamless, except when it isn't..We don't have the latitude of an antlerless deer season so we have to be able to accurately sex each animal before pulling the trigger..

The video clip below off Youtube shows a typical Roe stalking scenario up on the Scottish borders. "Culling" is a more appropriate term as usually you are shooting to a management/cull plan for the ground, and under pressure to get numbers in from a limited number of visits.

That's a doe with two kids. Wind forward a few months and it will be winter and those kids won't be too much smaller than mum.

One of the kids will be a buck with antlers about the size of your knuckle, and despite glassing first, you still need to be able to establish which is which through the scope just as your about to pull the trigger.

And you won't usually be several zip codes away either. Most will be taken within 100m and in this context 150m would be a long shot.

The style of shooting your talking about would be much more appropriate to stalking Red deer out on the open hill above the tree line. That's where your approach/ expertise/equipment would pay dividends.

I am the first to admit a fancy scope is often a crutch; I was thinking back to then I was in my 20's and was shooting an open sighed SLR at ranges that today I'd want a good scope for..

For all my faults I am a realist, and I have settled what works for me in my circumstances..I don't claim "its the best" nor do I close my mind to what others use, but I am broadly happy with the kit I have and my ability to kill deer with it..