I hate even responding to these threads because I do guide for a living and a lot of times people dismiss my opinions because of it. Well, it's worth what you paid for it which is nothing so hear goes...

When I was younger I genuinely appreciated the tips because I wasn't making much doing it and it costs a lot of money on proper equipment, vehicle maintenance etc. As I've gotten older and become more financially stable it isn't as big of a deal financially but it is appreciated when offered.

On my NM hunts where I am the guy putting the hunts together and running the hunts I do not expect a tip. Again, it's appreciated when offered but I respectfully decline them and simply ask that they take care of the cook or any other guide that may have assisted in any way. I have always felt that most outfitters do not expect it and would rather have the guides and cooks taken care of. Good help is hard to find and that mentality is crucial to keep those guys happy. I have guys I hunt with quite a bit and they know that the camaraderie and genuine friendship is more than enough and at the end of the day that is worth so much more to me than a few hundred dollars.

10% is fairly standard as to what most clients do. So do more, some do less and some don't offer or feel it's necessary. From a tactical standpoint if you have ambitions to come back I would do 10% or a touch more and ask for the most experienced guide. That's what I have done on the guided hog and oryx hunt I went on. If I go back I know they'll have the best guys wanting to hunt with me

Again, it's different for every hunter, outfitter and guide but I would guess that 50% of the guys I hunt with are truly my friends and trying to tip me would just be awkward but I've been doing it a long time and I am fortunate to be able to pick and choose who I hunt with

If you're going someplace new and don't know the operation I would set aside 10% and let the chips fall where they may and see how it goes