An interesting thread. I've been on three guided hunts, mule deer in CO, S Africa, and NV antelope. All were a bit different. On the CO hunt, it was the owner with his mom doing the cooking, Africa of course was what you would expect, guide was co-owner and there was a cook, trackers, skinners, housekeepers, etc. NV was owner/guide but I provided my own camper and food.

By and large I don't need anybody to babysit me or hold my hand. Most of what I need is someone's knowledge of the game and area and perhaps some logistical help.

My first comment would be that folks with my level of inexperience with guided hunts are hungry for good information regarding how to approach tipping. I knew and agree with/accepted tipping as an industry standard so that wasn't a big deal and I figured it into my budget. The "fuzzy part" is when there are multiple staff with multiple roles. As Travis mentioned with his "total package" comment to Calvin, I'm all about making it simple, 'cause that's me, simple.

My second comment would be to thank those that have shared their thoughts and experiences, both those in the industry and those with a goodly amount of guided hunt experience. I greatly appreciate having folks like Phil, Drummond, Greg W, and Tanner here; all I considering first-class people. It's obvious conversations can get contentious at times, but like the truth, the best information rises to the top and is pretty easy to pick out.

I will offer up that on two of the three hunts the owner/guide shared anecdotal stories about tipping the cook or help.....my thought, please don't insult my intelligence with this nonsense. I like both guys a lot and got along very well with them, but was somewhat offended with this type of behavior. But I'll also say it's water under the bridge and would hunt with either again.

My NV antelope hunt was last minute and a rushed deal because of me starting a new job. Several of the outfitters I spoke with said I needed a good 5 days to cover the unit and look over antelope; I booked for a 3-day hunt which I knew was a gamble with a top notch tag. I probably could have waited a bit longer, but shot an 80 incher on the second day and was very happy. AFTER I shot my antelope and decided to head out the 3rd day, my guide shared that he would be able to take his 4 year old daughter to the annual state fair. After tipping him, he let me know he saves all his tips for his daughters college fund. He's a fairly unique individual, but I'll hunt with him again in a heartbeat.

I've kind of rambled off topic just a bit, but my position is I will do my best to tip graciously (think more than 10%) as long as I feel the guide/outfit did everything they could to make the hunt fun, enjoyable, and successful. Regardless of whether I killed or not.

BTW, Starsky, you're worldwide famous....I'm sure!

Last edited by Akbob5; 04/13/16.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~