Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I brought this topic up in this mornings shop meeting.

In the meeting of 4, I was the only person that has been on any guided hunts. So tipping a guide was news to the rest of the tool shop.

One guy snickers.....then asks

"Tomorrow is trash day. Should I tape a $5 to the can? My guy works hard and I am sure he doesn't make much money"

Then another toolmaker added several other services in our weekly life we are leaving out of the loop.

I think it's funny you tell this story which has nothing to fo with anything and then go on guided hunts after proclaiming you make less than the guides but then arguing you shouldn't tip?

Something doesn't make sense in your thought process.

I was thinking the same.

But I do have a funny story. I was at work the other day, talking with the guys about tipping on guided hunts. And then one of them said, "wait a minute, why are we talking about this, none of us have ever been on a guided hunt?" So I said "good point, but bear with me, I need an anecdote to tell the guys on the 24-hour campfire."

So he said, "OK, tell us about guided hunts" and I told him what I knew. Halfway through, he stopped me and said "let me see if I've got this straight--the guides are responsible for making sure nothing bad happens to you, they take care of your basic needs like food and shelter, they are responsible for the success of your hunt, which depends on their skill and how hard they work, and they work for tips?" "Yep." "And you're asking if you should tip them?"

"That's right."

They just shook their heads, turned around, and walked off. I heard one guy say "well, that explains why he never picks up the check at lunch....."

A wise man is frequently humbled.