Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by smokepole
The difference between the guide and the hunter is, one's on vacation, and the other is at work.

He doesn't get it. Next thing he'll say is "you're still hunting" or "find another job that pays better". He obviously has no clue what the margins are on some of these hunts. From paying for cooks, food, fuel, permit fees, paying to be licensed, bonded and insured, good guides and the good ones do cost more, equipment, maintenance etc...

The outfitters, at least the good ones, try to price their hunts competitively while providing great guides and great hunts. Margins are slim and it's a difficult industry to make a living in.

Fact is, a guy that comes out west and does one hunt a year will NEVER know what goes into providing a quality hunt and experience for a client and will argue all day that tipping shouldn't be a part of the equation. I knew it was a lost cause when he argued about the "bartender" scenario offered above. I tip a bartender early and I tip him big. To me it's about getting quality and prompt service, to Ted it's about getting extra alcohol without having to pay the restaurant for it. Pretty much tells me all I need to know...

Then you obviously missed a couple things along the way....but

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper