Originally Posted by tedthorn
I have been on 4 guided hunts and used the 10% "rule" but my PH wouldn't accept it.....

Probably because he doesn't depend on tips to make his living.

Originally Posted by tedthorn
The outfitters and restaurant owners got it figured out don't they?

Hire a staff that the client does or doesn't pay for....and leaves it on the clients conscience.

Tipping really has nothing to do with restaurant owners or outfitters. It has to do with taking care of people who perform a service for you and depend on tips to make a living.

Everyone knows that wait staff in a restaurant depend on tips. The way I see it, if you resent that and don't want to pay, then don't eat at restaurants.

Tipping allows you to either give a modest amount for mediocre service, or give extra for extraordinary service.

And as far as "leaving it on the clients conscience," tipping is one of the few truly altruistic acts a person can accomplish on a daily basis. You can leave no tip, a modest tip, or a few extra bucks for the person who waits on you. There's no requirement for you to do it, and no consequences if you leave a chintzy tip. It's a good feeling to tip well if you look at it that way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.