I've enjoyed watching this thread. Although I've never taken a guided hunt, I've taken fishing trips.

I understand the issues with tipping. I have a few friends that are guides or charter boat owners in Alaska.

And here are my thoughts. This is just my own personal opinion.

Just like a waitress at a restaurant may be making minimum wages, a guide usually is not making a lot of money either. The owners and operators are making the majority.

And just as a restaurant is selling a service. They have costs too, that are built into the price of your food. Electricity, pots, pans, uniforms etc.

An outfitters has costs also. Tents, camp stoves, trespass fee's for private land access.

The guide, if he/she has done their work PRIOR to you arriving has also had fee's. Gas to and from scouting trips. Quality glass to spot with, food while scouting, tires etc.

My personal opinion is just like tipping at a restaurant. If I feel that I've received poor service, I may leave a poor tip, due to the above mentioned cost's of scouting etc. I also make sure that I inform the manager of the restaurant.

If I feel that I've received good service, or great service, I leave a tip based on that. And if the service is exceptional, I advise the owner/operator of the charter or guide service.

My tipping is not based on the success of the hunt as weather, animal migration, things that could be considered "Acts of God" and are out of control of the guide. As well as the guide may have lead me to a great location, and I may have "blown" or missed the shot based upon poor skills and not doing my part.

If I feel that the guide has put his heart, his soul, and given me a true 110% effort into making my hunt a success, then I tip based upon that effort.

As for Africa, well... I've wanted to go there for a LONG time. And just as a few have stated, by the time you pay transportation, shipping of any trophies, hotel costs for any travel as a tourist not associated with the hunt, I'm sure that cost's can double or triple from the price of a hunt. Maybe I'll make it there in the next 5-6 years.

Speaking of Africa, I lived in Canada 30+ years ago. I was acquainted with a wealthy gentleman that spent 3-5 months a year hunting the world. Mostly Africa.

He stated that once he had found a quality outfitter that he always treated them fairly with gratuities. This included everyone on staff. He said that after his first or second time, they (the staff) would remember him, and treat him like a king (remembering his kindness and tipping). The would give him many extra things that other hunters may not have received or experienced.

He also had enough wealth that he always had 3-4 custom rifles being built at a time. At the end of each hunting season, he would give a rifle to the guide that he felt gave a true 110%. I'm sure that some of these rifles we worth $40k-$50k.

Anyway, there are not too many of us that can do that, but we can show our appreciation if a quality service was rendered.

JMHO

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.