Originally Posted by tedthorn

Sorry but the old "if you can't afford the extra 10% don't go" is phugging bull chit..

Some.....most people have to save for years or even pull bank loans to hunt far off places

The 10% mark is become the standard?

Nuts IMO when factoring in all aspects

By all accounts there are many people in your everyday life that "we" need to be giving the 10% gratuity too....

Lots of low wage people in our lives that work hard for us....think?

The 10% mark is the standard people typically use. No different that the 15% gratuity in a restaurant and just like tipping a waiter some people do it and some people don't. If you look at the hours put into a hunt, from leaving before daylight and arriving back to camp after dark it's not a lot per hour of effort.

Another thing I hear is "I tip less if I kill on the first day" and that argument is ridiculous IMO. If a guy has scouted his tail off and put in the effort before the hunt started then why ding him. The result is what you desired when you booked the hunt

If you're taking a loan you should wait a few years longer and save but I'm not a financial advisor so take it for what it's worth.

If you don't want to tip a guy for the effort they put in to what you're describing as a potential "once in a lifetime hunt" then don't do it. There's no law that says you have to do it or have to offer