I've been a part time guide for 12 seasons. Meaning I also have a full time job that I take time off from to guide.

Elk, sheep, and mule deer. Hunts are pack in wall tent type and drive to a lodge and hunt horse back or out of truck.

To be honest I hope for a 10% tip. I know how hard I work, I'm not some bum that doesn't know hunting or the country. And I can carry on a polite conversation in most circles.

Both outfitters I've worked for agree. One of them has told his clients that if they aren't going to tip 10% that he'd like an explanation.

I once saw a client I didn't guide in camp that shot the biggest bull of the week and a buck not tip a cent. The outfitter asked him about it and he said he couldn't afford a tip. I personally know his guide and he deserves a good tip. I assure you that if he ever tried to come back I would refuse to guide him. Other poor tippers are thought of the same way.

I agree with the thought that if you can't afford a tip you can't afford the hunt.

I've never been on a guided hunt. If I ever can go preparing for at least a 10% tip will be part of it. But I'll also be the first to say that if your guide is a bum for whatever reason that you should reduce the tip. I do the same in restaurants with waitresses.

The two different elk hunts I guide are at least $2000 different in cost, more if you include the 2x1 hunts that one of the outfitters offers. The more expensive hunts often have clients that have also purchased a commissioner tag which are $8-12k. These tags are tough to draw through the normal drawing. I almost always do better percentage-wise with clients from the outfitter who has the less expensive hunts. I'm not sure why.