lyman no 49 cast bullet reloading page 359 shows 358429 seated to 1.553oal.
page 356 under general information it shows the length of the 357magnum at 1.590.
interesting enough it shows a number of jacketed rounds seated to 1.590 including the 155gr 258156 seated to 1.590 oal.
you shouldn't have any troubles with the 358429.
It's the 358156 designed by thompsen that has two crimp grooves to allow the bullet to be seated out further in 38special cases for 38/44. Problem was yes they had 357magnum guns but not a lot of brass. This was an attempt to solve the problem.

this is a solution in 27/28 revolvers as copy/pasted from another forum: "I can tell you for sure that it will fit Smith 586/686, Smith M-19, Ruger Security Six and will not fit Smith M-27/28 if crimped in the crimp groove.

My solution for the M-27/28 was to seat deeper and crimp into (not over) the front driving band, shortening the overall cartridge length to where the bullet was just below flush with the front of the cylinder. I never measured this length, so I can't post it, but the setting is fairly easy. Set your bullet seating die to seat but not crimp. Seat the bullet to the crimp groove and insert the cartridge into the cylinder. Observe how much of the bullet protrudes from the front face of the cylinder. Screw the bullet seating stem down aproximately equal to the amount of bullet nose protrusion you observed and seat the bullet deeper. Check the round in the cylinder again. Repeat this cycle until you have the bullet nose just below flush.

Now, unscrew the bullet seating stem as far as possible so you don't seat the bullet deeper when you adjust the crimping function of the die. Adjust the crimp to your requirements, then, with the cartridge all the way in the die (press handle down), screw the seating stem down until it makes firm contact with the bullet. Then lock the seating stem with its lock nut.

From this point, you can seat and crimp in a single operation."

translated, if its too long for your particular gun, seat to where you crimp over the top driving band.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/26/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO