Reading over how I said it, I can see where you are coming from. Sorry it came out the way it did.

I shot hot loads using bullet 358429 loaded in 38 special cases in a model 28 and crimping the bullet in the crimp groove. It shot very well with no problems. I didn't have a chronograph back then, so I don't know the velocity on those loads. All I can say is they killed hogs graveyard dead.

Elmer Keith, Ed McGivern, and others used the #358429 bullet for long range shooting when the .357 magnum first came came out, but they loaded it with heavy powder charges behind that bullet in .38 Special cases according to what McGivern's book says. At that time, much experimentation was done with bullet seating depth, full-length magnum brass, trimmed magnum brass, and .38 Special cases. They all came to the same conclusion that the .38 Special case was just fine for .357 magnum loads using the 358429 bullet in the model 27 and 28 Smiths.

Today, many people have been taught guns are dangerous. Some shooters have beeen told reloading is dangerous and they should not do it. So when some try, they are overly cautious and want everything to be just so, or just like the loading manuals say. Nothing wrong with that, but more experienced shooters often interpolate data or change components and make educated guesses at how to compensate for those changes. People screamed bloody murder when I duplexed BPCR black powder loads in 45-70 and 40-65 Winchester, but I never had any problems doing it and didn't have to constantly clean my rifle like those who shot straight black powder did.

This ain't rocket science and if you use your head and common sense coupled with a little experience, things usually work out well. Get stupid and we'll see you on the 6 o'clock news.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/27/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.