scott to go further off topic as i usually do, a lot of this isn't set and dry.
I have had a problem for a long time producing 38special that will fit in my daughters ladysmith. It was only when i took the expander/decapper pin out of a die, and used that to squeeze down the round i started to get a glimmer.
I got to looking through my messy stash of dies and realized i had 4sets of rcbs 38special/357 dies. They look the same but not the same. I was also using brass that had been sized and primed, but not belled or loaded, done my a deceased friend of mine back in the 60's. I don't think he had the dies set quite right.
I am still screwing around with that idea of a 200grain or larger bullet at about 1000fps.
Along with what i wrote above, i loaded up some rounds of 38.40 today, starline brass, and a 180grain bullet, non gas checked.
I have always heard that 38.40 is difficult to reload, no it's not but it does have its issues. The mouth is pretty thin and if you don't have it lined up right when seating, you will squash them on the mouth with very little pressure envolved. I only wrecked one today which is better than last time.
The other thing I habitually forget to do, but it is good to do, is run the completed round in the guns intended for to see if they fit. I have one 41magnum that won't take a long round like a 57 or 58.
now these 38wcf rounds all measured to 1.60 all seated an crimped nice and proper, and i ran them in a cylinder. Wouldn't go in easy on a number of them. Why, just a little dab of lube on the casing or on the side of the bullet. Wiped it off and no issues. when i turned the cylinder over they didn't just fall out, and to give a slight push with a pencil which means that 1.60 oal is really tight in these cylinder bores, like right on the money. as is the diamer of the cylinder holes, hardly any slop.
The cylinder was one ruger cut for me in 38wcf. And they had to be right on the specs, as in little no wiggle room of casing, and so on.
I had that little ladysmith of my daughters checked a couple of times by competent gunsmiths, they both told me it was tight. Which translates that brass being off just a little, fowled up the works. If i load anymore for her, i am going to have to have the revolver.
Try some revovlers that might have three different diameters in the barrel.
oh by the way, that 180grain cast bullet should be flying at about 900to 950fps. One of the guns i will shoot it in was successful in killing a guy on whiskey row in prescott back in the day, and has an inscription inside the grip about two shots killing a grizz in mexico turn of the century. I should bring it to quemato with the period holster, leather cutout for the triggerguard/trigger. It IS a piece of history. the other colt bisley i have in 38wcf was also successfully used by one indian in oklahoma to kill another indian in the 30's. I don't think you need the speed so much, as the mass.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/30/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO