Ron, is there any advantage in loading 358429 in a magnum case and crimping it on the driving band over loading it in a 38 special case and crimping it in the crimp groove? I tried it both ways in a model 28 and found none, but my experiments did result in me selling the model 28 and getting a model 19 so I didn't have to deal with the short cylinder issue. Well that and the sheriff made me get a model 19.

I shot 13 grains of 2400 behind the 358429 bullet in a 38 special case crimped in the crimp groove in the model 28 and never had any problem at all. The cases were not overly stressed, the primer pockets stayed tight, the case dimensions at the head were not enlarged, the accuracy was excellent, case extractions were easy and not sticky, so I never saw the need to use a magnum case and crimp on the driving band. I didn't have a chronograph back then, but I'd guess the velocity was somewhere around 1300 FPS.

To each his own, but since you are a very experienced reloader and shooter, I just wonder if there is a reason for you to do it and if there was something I missed when I was experimenting with it.

That is the beauty of reloading and the fun of doing it. You can try these things and see how it works. Most of the time that is exactly why I try some of this stuff. It's just plain old curiosity and for no other reason than wondering how a certain bullet mold design/ casting metal composition/bullet size/ lube used/powder/ charge weight/ primer brand/seating depth combination will work.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/29/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.